Thursday 21 April 2011

Snowmobile carburetor installed on motorcycle

My father had a rather unique two wheel drive motorcycle called a Rokon Ranger which we used to ride all over the mountain on which we lived. After several years the two-stroke carb stopped working and was taken apart (probably by me) to see if it could be repaired. I don't remember, but I'm guessing some rubber components had simply disintegrated.

With the required spare parts unavailable I looked around and discovered a snowmobile carb tucked away in storage which I figured might just do the trick. With a few minor modifications I was able to install the new carb and get the bike back up and running. True, it did run a little differently than before, but it did run and was useable. The only real issue I remember was that if you stopped the engine after it had been running for a while it had to cool off before you could start it again. Looking back I would surmise that I hadn't provided adequate insulation between the carb and the engine and that it was developing "vapor lock."

As for how a snowmobile carburetor ended up in the wilds of Africa? I'll have to ask my dad...

No comments:

Post a Comment